Weight I have lost

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Romp and Stomp 2012

So earlier in the week, D and I were discussing our running plans for the week.  We knew we had the Romp and Stomp 5K planned and that we were going out on Saturday meaning that any possible thought of running 10 miles on Sunday was laughable.

Me: We have 10 miles to run on Saturday.
D: So we run 7 after the 5K?
Me: I guess. I'll have to ask A if she can drive us to the race.

The next day, A emailed me.
A: We have to go separately. I have to finish my run after the 5K.
Me: Us too.

A little further thought, and I decided to drive to the race, and D and I would run home (A was running to and from the race), and go drive back later in the other car to get the first one.  

Friday came, and I told D I would pick up the race packets.  Because I've only been to the packet pick-up 4 times, I decided it would be a good time to get lost.  So D went and got them and I went to get a beer (he met me there).  Afterward we went and had BBQ from one of our places for the last time, since they were closing their storefront (but still catering).  I had a Bahn Mi and D had a French Dip.  Yes, unusual things to have at a BBQ restaurant, but that's why I liked it.  I like creative ways of showing what you can do with pig (as D and I did when we smoked a pig in August and ate pork for the next week).  Anyway we came home and got ready for bed.

In the morning we got up.  50 degrees.  Quite pleasant...I wore my Saturday uniform of Compression Capris and Green Half-Marathon Shirt.  I put on my shoes and retied them 50 different ways.  I finally got them comfortable.  A texted me she was leaving.  I was happy she was waiting until 720 to do so, since it was a bit dark outside.  I had worried she was leaving at 6am and running in the dark.  Anyway, D and I are definitely out of race practice.  No pre-race picture. I grabbed a Gatorade on the way out just in case I decided to run after and go back to the car.  D grabbed a house key so he could run home and get in the house.  In the car, I saw my iPod.  That would be nice...so unprepared...

We got down to Cabbagetown (less than 3 miles away)
, parked and walked to the start.  I said there was no way we would find A, and immediately the crowd separated and there she was.  We chatted mostly about my shoes.  They really hurt to walk in (damn arch support!).  I said I was just going to run the 5K and call it a day.  We were still talking when the race started and so there were good-byes, headphones to be put on, iPods to turn on and attach to the shirt and watches to start.  Somehow I did all this, although I'm not sure how,  The starting mat was infront of Milltown, which is further back than it used to be.  Not far off.  We turned up at the Lofts and the race had not required the cars to be moved.  So 1000 people on an already narrow street with cars parked.  It wasn't that bad for me, but D and A were both aggravated by it.  I figured A was aggravated because I was still on her heels all the way up to Krog Street Tunnel.  Then she pulled away.  I was not really paying attention to much but there was a lady beside me (Pink Shoes).  She ran a nice pace so we ran together for awhile.  Then all of a sudden she stopped.  Oh well.  There was a guy who was walk/running and at first I thought he was a pizza guy (PG) I knew, Ryan. It made me laugh because Ryan always says how nuts D and I are for running. Then I realized this guy was not him.  He went on a walk, and I passed him.  We turned and passed the dog park/coffee shop/bar and Mile 1 was done.  It was 12 something.

I took a 30 second walk, and PG passed me. I started running again.  A lady with a dog (DL) and a lady with Harlequin Tights (HT) both passed me.  I thought DL was my friend Steph, but then realized it was not. And I thought HT was N from Creating a Runner Blog but again, no.  I was pretty busy making people into people I knew.  Before I knew it we were up the hill and past the water (1.7 miles).  We turned again and more of a hill.  I took a minute break, and DL passed me.  She hit me on the back and told me to pick it up.  It made me laugh because my break was scheduled, but I truly get when you are pacing someone and they stop, you want them to go, because a) it messes you up, b) if you aren't going to be number 1 in the race, you want that other person to do well.   So PG and HT passed me during that walk too.  Somewhere in there we passed Mile 2.

Started back running and DL was now a pretty good clip ahead, but PG, HT and I were all at the same area.  I ran.  We got back to Milltown and HT stopped and posed for pictures for someone.  This made me truly think it was N from the blog, because of the personality.  I really had to look at her to make sure it wasn't which probably was a little creepy.  Anyway, I passed HT again.  PG and I got up to the Krog Street Tunnel and I'm not sure what happened to him, but he faded.  So I was back by myself.  I couldn't figure out my foot. It was sound asleep.  But the bad shoe felt good except for the heel...really just something to fix in tying the shoe differently.  I ran around some people, and right as I was leaving the tunnel (it is out and back), Pink Shoes was entering.  Anyway I got to the 2nd to last street, and HT came back into the picture.  She was determined to beat me.   So we decided to race.  We got to the last turn and could see the finish line.  Both of us did it balls to the wall.  She would get a leg in front of me, and I would pull forward. Then vice versa.  She probably crossed a milli-second before I did.  People were probably like WTF but it was fun to have actually have run with someone the whole race and just have fun with it.  We both laughed when we were done, so I knew she had the same thoughts as I did.  38:54.  Not a PR but a course PR for me.  18 seconds faster than last year. 

D and A found me pretty quickly.  D hadn't tried to run hard because of the extra miles.  A was 1 second faster than last year.  I fixed the both shoes.  And I had some water.  I told A I would walk with her up to a street and then run a mile and turn around (I was cutting my run from 10 to 5).  D decided to walk with us.  At .5 miles we all decided to run.  Said our goodbyes and went our separate ways.  I got 1 mile in.  Still strong...I'll keep going.  3 miles.  Still strong.  3.5, I better turn around.  Mile 4.5, WTF is up with all of these hills.  A little walk.  More running.  Really these hills?  My pace was slow, and I was tired, but I'm almost done.  1 more hill to go up. 

And the funny moment at 5.5 miles: I came to a corner where an elderly lady came with a red pit bull (a building blocked our views of each other).  Anyway, I said hi and told her, "You have a great looking boy." (I could see his penis...no balls).  Her response was, "How'd you know he was a boy?  I had his penis cut off!"  It was all I could do not to fall over laughing, since of course I can't correct my elders.  I told her it was a good guess, and left it at that and went and finished my run. 

After I got home, D and I took the boys out to celebrate the life of Porter (She died the day before the Romp and Stomp in 2009, so we always celebrate this day). 



Me and McMenamin (he thinks he's people)

McMenamin and D - yes, McM is in his own chair

Scuttlebutt on a break from chasing bugs


Carolina John said...

Cool! I'll take a course pr anytime they come around. Great job!

Delane said...

I'd actually have to be running to have a course PR. Yeah. I signed up for a 1/2 in July. If I start now, I'll be prepared to start training in in May.

WTG on the course PR. Love the pics of the dogs.