Weight I have lost

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A few more days...reflections

First, Po is doing much better. Thanks for asking about her.

The Tri is in a few days. I'm so nervous every time I think about it. They had a webinar last night, but my computer acted up, so I wasn't able to listen. They sent a transcript. Thursday, they are having another class on how to change tires, so I'm trucking up north to go to that.

I looked at my donation page, and I have raised $870 for the GA Alzheimer's Association (if you don't remember (no pun intended), I'm doing the Tri 2 Remember Triathlon(go here and here). I've been thinking about both of my grandmothers lately and would they be proud of me. I think they would be. Would I have done this triathlon or any other for that matter had they not both succumbed to it...I don't know. Most likely not.

So I also thought about this summer. This has probably been my most active one in quite a few years. I learned to ride a bike. I ran consistently the entire summer. I added swimming. And I did most of it with D. Did I lose 1million pounds? No. Did I lose what I thought I would? No. Did I lose weight? YES!!! I lost weight going to breweries, weddings, vacations, road trips, etc. So that was a definite plus.

I'm still freaking out about the Tri. I keep thinking I'll be last. I'm not sure why it is bothering me. I had no problem being last on the group ride. I'm always near the back of the pack running, and looking at the times from last year, I will be near the back of the pack swimming. I keep telling myself, "Hey, but you'll have done a triathlon." For some reason this just makes me want to vomit. So I have to tell myself something else. If you can think of something let me know.

I have a run on tap for tonight. Just 3 miles. I don't think the bike will be happening this week, as it has been raining non-stop forever.

And if you would like to donate, feel free too. If you don't, that's fine too. My cause isn't everyone else's cause, and vice versa, so I get that. (Click on the picture to donate or to just see a pic of one of my grandmothers).

6 comments:

RockStarTri said...

I've always found that I've learned something different about myself racing in each race. Others may finish before you (all racers except one have this experience in each event) but those lessons, which you wouldn't completely know unless you race, are one of the true rewards for what you've put into training and preparing.

Yes, you want to do your best and with all the hard work you've done, you are beyond "just finishing" as a goal. Perhaps finishing strong or racing smooth are better thoughts. Your best today is better than your best yesterday. Imagine what tomorrow will bring but remember to enjoy the moment!

Carolina John said...

Good luck on the tri this weekend. it's ok to finish last as long as you finish happy. and i'm always happy when i finish.

Missy said...

I'm so excited for you! It's going to be great, first, last or somewhere in the middle. I think having your best day doesn't mean you're first, just the best for you. Finish happy and excited and wanting to do it again!

Aka Alice said...

Al...like Missy, I'm so excited for you...I mean, wow, you're doing a tri. I started off the summer thinking I'd be pretty close to doing one by now, but things just haven't worked out that way yet.

I believe your grandmothers would be more than proud!

Becca said...

Ummm...You're awesome. Love this site...Hope you have a GREAT race experience.

Robin said...

I'm so excited for you and incredibly proud of you for doing this. And I mean that in a fellow-nonathletic triathlete kinda way! If I'm proud, I know your grandmothers must be too.

In the end, it really WON'T matter how you finish only that you finish. You've done the work, now you just have to let the day happen. This is your first tri so you will set a PR no matter what! That's the beauty of it! :)

And there really are so few people out there with the balls to try this stuff. Finishing a triathlon, no matter how long or how fast, is a huge deal so don't lose sight of that. You're going to do awesome.

I hope it gives you a love for the sport and a desire to do more. I know it gave me an addiction that K only wishes would go away! :)

GOOD LUCK!!