Weight I have lost

Monday, December 17, 2007

Maryland Running is done for the year

So Doug and I finished up our Maryland Runs on Saturday 12/15/07. We ran in the 5 Miler Celtic Solstice Run. Yes when we signed up we misread it and thought it was a 5K, not a 5Miler. Oh well.

So Wednesday before the race with the coordinator emailing us at least twice a day, we said goodbye
to Doug's mom. And printed out a parking pass for Saturday's race at her office. Then off to find the running store to see if they had anything to help Doug and his foot. First we went to Dick's and they had nothing, although we did notice an abundance of Under Armour apparel. So then after lunch at the Ellicott Mills Brewery on Main Street Ellicott City (I don't recommend the beer…to Belguim-y), and a discussion with the brewer of why he doesn't like the Howard County Mayor (I went to HS with the Mayor…I'm not fond of him either…he was always Semitic or Anti-Anti Semitic, imo). But I have no clue of his politics except they are left of mine. Back to topic…We found the Falls Road Running Store. They really couldn't help Doug with his foot, but we did pick up our jackets and race numbers. They told us the Fells Point Falls Road Running Store could help us on Thursday. Great because we were staying in Fells Point.

So off to check in. We had a very good dinner at Della Notte in Little Italy. While the prices were
expensive, I was pleasantly surprised to get fettucine with lump crab and not the shred piddly bits that most of ATL gives you. Then off to Avenue Q, which we liked. After that, we went to Max's where a woman told me my shirt was ugly and that I had big breasts. I still like my shirt. I can't help my breasts. Lots of drinking there of Cape Anne's Ale and Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Then off to home.

Thursday, the running store was not open contrary to the sign on the door. Oh well. We went to Fad
o in Annapolis to see Apnold (my term of affection) and to meet his girlfriend. The mystery of Under Armour became clear. The HQ is in Baltimore and was founded by UMD grads. And it is made in the USA. So I will buy. Anyway dinner was good, and company was fun.

Friday we went to the Harbor an
d had a cookie from Vaccaro's. Doug told me that his store sells their cannoli and creams. But the cookie was good. We bought a Christmas Ornament and then went to Wharf Rat on Pratt Street. We liked their Stout. Drank some of those and had Maryland Crab Soup (not a cream). Then decided to walk to Brewer's Art. That was a mistake. Besides it was forever away, we walked past it, and Penn Station and I83 all the way to North Avenue on Charles. Doug called and they told us where it was. So we went. Well we get there and there is a Christmas Party. So they won't serve us, but tell us to go downstairs. We do that and the bartender and the waiter talk to each other, we ask the waiter if he can move his stuff off a stool, and the bartender tells us he doesn't know how we got there (the bartender upstairs told us to come) but he won't serve us for another 25 minutes (it is 3:35 PM on a Friday). So we left. We walked all the way back to Lombard to Power Plant Live which also didn't have a bar open. By now we were confused and our feet hurt. So we took a cab to Fell's Point and went to Green Turtle and had a Guinness. Then to Duclaw and had a good dinner and were back in the room by 8 PM to rest for the race.

We got up and got ready and drive over to Druid Park. Doug's cousin coincidentally parked next to us. We knew he and his wife were doing the race but we never caught them via email, so weren't sure what to expect. So we talked to them in the tent, and we found Apnold again. Then we went and found my friend Vic and her boyfriend, Jason. J held our stuff since he wasn't
running. The time to run started.

Mile1: Nothing much except it was mostly uphill. Not steep but an incline. Lots of people passed me, but I'm sure I looked cute in my hat. 13:37

Mile 2: It was around a cemetery and it was cold, except for my hands. I took off my gloves. My lungs could feel the cold. One day I'll work on my breathing. There is the water. Where did this energy come from: 27 something

Mile 3: Running by the car. Maybe I'll just stop and get in. I'm sure people are done now. Another basin to run around? The other end looks far away. 46

Mile 4: Did I skip part of this race? 58:08 minutes

Mile 5: I'm passing someone. My god, I'm passing someone! Done with the basin. Doug is there. He says it is just down the hill. This hill is forever. There is J telling me to smile. I think I have snot on my nose. Vic is telling me to sprint. The chip said my final time is 71:35.
That is awesome considering I was aiming for 74.

We hang out a little. I don't see Doug's cousin. Then we walk back to the car with Apnold and say good bye and go back to the hotel. We call V and J around 1 and drink with them until about 8. It was a fun trip.

No comments: