Weight I have lost

Thursday, May 15, 2014

My 2XU Elite Compression Shorts Review (or Griping about 2 Miles)

So, I have been running.  14 times in 3.5 weeks.  They are all pretty short runs, yet my body hasn't been this sore in awhile.  I have been to 3 different gyms (all owned by the same guy).  I like the one by my house the best.  I don't know if it is the weight gain, the shoe issues that have plagued me for almost a year, or what, but my hip started hurting again.  (bursitis).  I've been rolling and doing my kicks (which I hadn't been doing for awhile...so duh to me).  However, I always relied heavily on my CW-X Stabilyx Capris.  But they don't fit at the moment, and they were the largest size CW-X made (although it looks like they might have changed their sizing, since I last looked in 2012, but whatever). What to do? What to do?

I looked at 2XU and they have XL shorts and Capris.  I hemmed and hawed on the shorts because I have a CW-X pair and don't really like them.  (read here).  I was afraid that the 2XU wouldn't hold up.  I couldn't really find reviews of anyone with hip bursitis commenting on them, and I had the money, so I ordered the Elite Pair and a pair of Capris.  I'll be honest.  I don't like the huge 2XU plastered across my leg.  The shorts only came with the white ("steel") plastering (or that's all I saw), but the Capris came Black/Nero.

2XU Elite Compression Shorts (photo from Shoebuy.com)

 2XU Black/Nero Capris  (photo from Shoebuy.com)

So Tuesday, I went to one of my 3 gyms for a 2 mile run.  No big deal. I'll do speed work (run 5mph for 4 minutes, run 4.3 for 1 and repeat).  I've been doing this for my 1.5 mile runs if I don't run outside on hills so no biggie?  I went to my non-regular gym (I'd been there one other time).  I got on the treadmill.  I started walking and noticed my heart rate was a little higher than normal.  Not a big deal (115 vs 110 to walk .5 miles at an faster than leisurely pace).  I started the run.  I lasted on 5mph for about 1 minute and thought I would die. I decided I would skip speed work and just do 4.7.  After 4 minutes my heart rate was 155.  I walked at 3.4 rather than run at 4.3.  I was drenched.  I did this 4.7/3.4 thing again.  I barely got through it.  My heart rate soared to 175.  What the hell is going on?  I felt like I was running up a hill.  I checked the elevation and it said 0.  I tried the cycle again.  I had to take it to 4.5 when my heart rate hit 183.  I walked for 1.5 minutes this time to get the heart rate to 160.  Tried again with the same results.  My arms and shoulders were really sore.  I put it on 4.1.  My heart rate seemed to level at 175 but really?  4.1?  I finally finished the 2 miles.  I could barely walk.  When I turned around to get off the treadmill, it felt like it was on a downward slope.  I'm definitely bringing a level with me the next time I go there.  I got home and my shorts and capris were there.  I was actually too sore in my arms to fight to try on the capris after trying on the shorts.  The shorts fit.  Yay.

Yesterday I ran in them for 3 miles at my close-to-home gym.  Considering how sore I was from the day before, I was not enthused to have to run farther.  I started the run at 4.5 mph.  I decided I couldn't stop to walk because I was afraid I wouldn't restart.  My heart rate never got above 169 which it hit in the final 2 minutes.  I liked the shorts better than the CW-X shorts. They seemed a little sturdier in material. I did notice my hip in the 2.5 part of the mile, but I think that was more out of boredom than anything else.  I also noticed the side tag in the shorts that rubbed my side raw.  I'll have to Body Glide that area.  Overall, I like the shorts and think they will last a good 15-20 pounds until I can fit back into my CW-X Capris.  The one thing I did notice was a lot of seams in the crotch area.  If the tag was bugging me at 3 miles, I imagine I will Body Gliding other areas of my body on longer runs.


My own review: Neither 2XU or CW-X had anything to do with my reviews except sell their clothing on websites where I could make purchases.

1 comment:

Gianna Blake said...

Both of these pieces look awesome. I am really happy to have a look at this post. I am also trying to find the reviews about the pattern leggings for yoga sessions. I need to buy good quality stuff but with in my budget. I was just wondering if anyone here has the reviews here for any good brands.