Weight I have lost

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Seriously, You are not that important!

Kind of an odd title considering I write a blog in hopes everyone will read it.  haha.

So my long runs have been kind of ho hum.  Perhaps the APD is reading my blog, because the drug dealer and his watchers were not out on Saturday for my 8 miler.

I got new shoes.  I still haven't decided how I like them.  The New Balance 1340 which replaces the NB 1012.  I didn't get fitted for them but did some online research to know to go half a size bigger and wider.  Which is good, because I don't think my feet would fit in the C/D.  But I'll review the 1340 for later.  Just if anyone is looking to see what how the shoe fits, there you go.  My PSA.

Before I go any further... I am addicted to my phone.  I will stop the washing machine to make sure the phone isn't in there when I can't find it. I sleep with it under the pillow.  My heart starts beating faster when I don't know where it is. Even driving, I have to know where it is (charging usually).

OK, so we have long known I view the gym as my church. I go there to get things done, to think thoughts through, to think about how to better myself, and mostly self-focus.  So I can usually be fine in my deep trains of thought until about 6pm when I'm jolted from them.  I adjust my headphones.  I make sure My Chemical Romance is playing at deafening levels.  Yet, there is no mistake. 

"Like, really.  I can't believe you wore that.  OH.MY.GOD!  Can you like believe I slept with him? He was such a lousy lay seriously." 

Yes, this is what jolts me out of my painful blissful runs.  There are a group of unrelated women (I use that term loosely) who talk non-stop on their phones.  They walk at 1.5 to 2.5 mph.  They don't break a sweat.  And they talk so loudly about things that just leaves my jaw dropping.  Without fail it doesn't matter which room I'm in, one will get on the treadmill or elliptical next to me and pick up that phone. And usually also bitch that such childish programming is on the TV by her (yes, it is on Futurama, Sunny in Philadelphia and South Park). 

Yesterday's conversation was (at 6pm) "I can meet you at 645.  I'm at the gym.  No, I'm just walking so I won't get sweaty.  I'm only going to walk for like 5 minutes, because I CAN.NOT. STAND. South Park, and some idiot turned that on." 

It was clear I had the remote.  I thanked her for calling me an idiot.  She was like, "I did not." I said, "I can hear you as can the whole rest of the gym. Really, you aren't that important.  You aren't the leader of a country or in a war. You don't need a phone on you at all times."  A guy smirked. 

But really, you aren't that important. 

When I got in the car, I took my phone out of my gym bag.  I put it in the charger. I texted D that I was on my way home.  Then I started on my way home.  It was Halloween and a ton of kids were out. The phone rang. I let it ring.  Because really, I'm not that important. 

4 comments:

Becca said...

I think I am slowly developing an outright phobia of the gym, and I wonder what would have to happen for me to ever go back to one again. I miss South Park. What kind of phone do you have.

Marianne said...

I have these people at my gym too... I sometimes wonder what they are really doing there, because they are clearly not there to work out. I wonder, are they there just so they can tell people they "hit the gym", and make that part of their conversation about their day? It's weird and I don't understand it. If you don't want to sweat, why on earth are you at the gym? At any rate, I'm glad to have you back blogging, I missed your posts!

Aka Alice said...

I dread the shortening of days because it means that I'll either have to go back to the gym (which I've been avoiding) or stop exercising five days a week (not good).

I have the same thoughts as you do. I wish I had the guts to say things to people, but I don't. Thanks for saying what I'm thinking! (I know it's all for me!)

Delane said...

LOL. I get no phone reception at the gym. They do have WIFi and people do text/email. There is a also a quite policy even on headphone volume.