Weight I have lost

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

FOMO

Recently, one of my friends was talking about a FOMO moment.  Having no idea what she was talking about, I went and looked up FOMO.  Fear of Missing Out.

Since D and I have gone all "healthy lifestyling,"  I've had a lot of it in the past 3 weeks.  To the point it is causing me anxiety.  This week it has occurred for a beer bottle share, a beer release, and a beer dinner.  I'm not sure what I'm going to miss out on.  How do I balance beer and exercise?

Exercise and Earn a Beer
First the bottle share.  A couple of friends sent me an invitation to go to a bottle share on Tuesday.  I'm not a big week-day socializer.  I never have been.   In school, homework was to be had.  Nowadays, I get up at 530am, out the door by 615 for work, and usually back home after work and the gym around 6pm to walk the dogs, do some laundry.  If I'm lucky and feeling social, D usually gets to have a 10 minute conversation with me.  But usually, we just are ships passing through the night watching Futurama doing errands or chores, unless we have planned something at least 2 months in advance.  And I'm usually asleep by 930.  The weekends are the times where we actually talk to each other.  So, this beer share came up, and we mentioned it to each other, but "too much to do," was the answer from both of us.  This morning when I saw the pictures, I was bummed I had missed out on seeing friends, meeting some new people, but I know I will see/meet them.  I still think I did miss out. (Side note:  Keep inviting me, you never know when I'll show up).

Next up, a beer release:  The State of Georgia doesn't like craft beer, so after SB63 was passed and was in effect for a few months, the DOR felt it necessary to reinterpret what the law actually said.  I have my opinions about why this happened (suckass distributors in the LT. Governor's pocket), but in response, a lot of the Georgia Breweries are doing beer releases and special days where part of the money goes back to the the GA Craft Brewers Guild to help them replenish their reserves to fight this stupid misinterpretation of the law.  D and  I planned on going to one beer release, near us.  We were going to walk and bring our backpacks so we could carry the 128oz of beer they were giving us (at a cost) back home.  But the more I thought about it, the cheaper I got.  I didn't want to spend $70 (the price for 2 of us) for a beer I've never had.  So we decided we would go to a local bar (and not support the GCBG, but we would get our healthy walking in).  Then a brewery in Athens posted something, and that seemed like a good idea, but a 70 mile 1-way trip?  Plus it is Lompie's birthday.  I thoroughly confused D about it yesterday, but the long and the short of it is we are back to walking to a bar...I think.  Again FOMO.

Then we looked at a beer dinner at a restaurant we like, with beers we like.  It is on Monday. I work out on Monday.  It's a lot of money, although a good price.  I've had 3 of the 5 beers, but they are good beers. And it should be fun because the restaurant is closed except for this event.  It is a total FOMO.

The issue is that it isn't like I'm sitting at home drinking 20 glasses of water and a salad all the time (oh wait, that was last night).  And we do have plans for Saturday, we just have no idea what they are, only they involve taking Lompoc with us.

And then the next Saturdays:
Bottle Share
UGA @  GT
Strong Beer Fest
10K at Brewery
5K that will involve beer
Christmas for 2 days

So I'm trying to remember the FOMO needs to be balanced with the exercise and diet, so that my pants do fit when I do go out and be social.

But damn, this getting/staying healthy commitment is hard!

No comments: